Sunday 20 March 2016

Honey Roasted Figs With Limoncello Cream / Homemade Limoncello

For all my experiments with growing herbs that I talked about in my last post, the truth is my mother is an avid gardener. Her garden and its produce have the subject of many of my posts over the years.Every year she experiments with something new in the garden and like every other gardener, she has her share of hits and misses. 

One of the highlights of her garden this Winter was her little Italian lemon plant.Two years back, the man at the nursery had asked if she would be interested in growing Italian lemons. We took a small plant, planted it in a pot and crossed our fingers. Two years on, this Winter we had a bumper crop of a dozen or so lemons. 


These were longer, yellower, thicker skin and more fragrant than the lemon we get in the Indian markets. Cut open one in the kitchen and the entire room and your fingers will be perfumed with this delicate, fresh, citrus scent. 

It's not everyday that one gets their hand on Italian lemons in India. So, we had to make something special in them. And what's more special than using Italian lemons to make some Italian liqueur. 


It doesn't take much to make limoncello except for the waiting period while the lemon peel steeps in vodka. It is the prettiest light lemon colour and it tastes zingy, lemony, delicately sweet and I must mention, it turned out more potent that I expected it to be.

My recommendation on a hot, summer evening, fill up a glass with ice cubes and then pour in a little shot of limoncello and savour it sip by sip and I assure you, by the time, you empty that glass of yours, you will be a much happier person!



Making a bottle of limoncello is the easy part. Deciding what to do with it, not so much. Not in the mood for much cooking, I settled in on figs roasted with honey and limoncello that is paired with some limoncello cream and toasted almonds and a teeny drizzle of honey on top.

You can use Greek yoghurt but as I mentioned in my last post, these days, double cream and I are having a moment. Diet be damned! Vanilla ice-cream would also go well and you could drizzle the limoncello on top for added flavour.  

This is a simple dessert but nothing to knock your socks off! It is a pleasant dessert to round off a hearty dinner. The options to substitute are endless. On the top of my head, substitute the figs with strawberries and the limoncello with brandy.  A matter of personal preference, but I liked all my components chilled.



Heading off for a short break over the long weekend and I'll see you next in April. A long weekend is coming up and I hope you get to spend it with family and friends. If you play Holi, please make the effort to use natural colours!!

Wishing you and yours a beautiful and fun Holi..xx!!


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Roasted Figs With Limoncello Cream

Serves 2

Ingredients:
  • 4 figs, halved lengthways
  • 1 tablespoon honey, extra to serve
  • 1 teaspoon caster sugar
  • 75 mls limoncello
  • 1/4 cup flaked almonds
  • 1 cup double cream / Greek yoghurt
Directions:
  • Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
  • Place the figs, cut-side up, on the tray.
  • In a small bowl, whisk together honey, sugar and 1/4 cup (60ml) limoncello. Drizzle limoncello mixture over the fruit, then roast for 15-20 minutes until soft and caramelised.
  • Meanwhile, scatter the almonds on a separate baking tray and bake for 8-10 minutes until lightly golden – check regularly as the nuts can burn easily.
  • Combine the double cream/Greek yoghurt with the remaining 2 tablespoons limoncello. I like to whip my double cream to soft peaks with a teaspoon of sugar also.
  • To serve, divide limoncello cream among 2 serving plates. Top each plate with 2-3 fig halves. Sprinkle with toasted almonds and drizzle with extra honey.
  • Tip: It is a matter of personal preference, but I preferred to serve all my components chilled. You can serve it at room temperature, if you prefer.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Homemade Limoncello

I used this recipe by Giada De Laurentiis. I adapted the recipe for 200 mls vodka! I did steep the lemon peel for as long as 2 weeks than just the 4 days mentioned in this recipe.

2 comments:

  1. Lovely post, Sarvani! The Limoncello cream sounds delicious. I have some Limoncello - although not homemade. Should try making the cream. Now to get some fresh figs :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Bina!!! I'd like to try these with berries...and you are soon going to be flooded with them..am thinking blueberries and raspberries!! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...