Monday 27 August 2012

Pitcaithly Bannock - Scottish Shortbread

A few weeks after I started blogging, my flatmate from University, Becca wrote to me. She had just had a closer look at my posts and recipes and was wondering if I would be interested in a family recipe. "Yes, please!!!", I replied back. And she sent me the recipe for a Scottish shortbread, know as Pitcaithly Bannock.



Back in University, Becca was the native British girl who alternated between being amused and outraged at the ways of her eccentric flatmates, including yours truly, who came from every inhabited continent of this world, except Australia. She is now married to a wonderful Scottish man whom she met, coincidentally, when we were flatmates. She was a student of English literature with a focus on 17th century Erotica and he, a student of history, with a special interest in Medieval Piracy!! Boring is obviously not a word that exists in this couple's dictionary!!!

And they served this bannock at their wedding. But what caught my attention was the fact that "Pitcaithly" in the recipe title was also her husband's family name. This was truly a family recipe!!


 
This is a straight forward shortbread recipe with the standard ingredients being flour, sugar and butter. The difference in the recipe is the addition of almonds and candied mixed peel. The only minor change that I made was to toast the almonds to enhance their nuttiness.
 
Putting together this recipe is simple, as with any shortbread recipe. However, when it came to their shape, I wanted to do something different. Last week, I came across the idea of shaping the dough into a round and then scooping out a small circle from the centre. It gives the shortbread a slightly different shape from the regular. I got the idea from the blog that has me captivated with its outstanding photographs and recipes. It is written by a Russian woman in Texas and is aptly titled, "From Red Star to Lone Star"!!



These shortbread are everything a shortbread should be - buttery and crumbly and perfect with a cup of tea!! The addition of the roasted almonds and candied peel are interesting and something you might want to keep in mind the next time you bake shortbread!!

Do remember the shortbread hardens as it cools, so you might want to take them out in time or else you risk them becoming rock hard!! I confess that I might have baked these a few minutes longer than was necessary as this batch was slightly crisper than normal.


The Pitcaithly bannock is traditionally made at the beginning of August to coincide with the Lammas feast, marking the transition from summer to autumn and the beginning of the Scottish harvest festival. But, I had a better reason to make these this August. Simple...this August, Mr and Mrs Pitcaithly celebrate their first wedding anniversary!!!


------------------------------------------------------------------
Pitcaithly Bannock
 
Recipe courtesy : Becca Pitcaithly
 
Ingredients:
  • 150 gms plain flour
  • 90 gms unsalted soft butter
  • 40 gms sugar
  • 1 tablespoon candied mixed peel
  • 1 tablespoon roasted almonds, roughly chopped or flaked

Cooking Directions:
  • Pre-heat the oven at 165 deg C.
  • Cream the butter and sugar together.
  • Add the flour, candied mixed peel and almonds and combine together to form a firm-ish dough.
  • Pat the dough into a rough circle and carve out a small circle from the centre.
  • Score the dough lightly.
  • Bake for 45-55 minutes until lightly browned.
  • Remove from the oven and allow to cool on a wire rack.
 

26 comments:

  1. Looks totally yummy Saru :) & what a coincidence I tried the more basic version of the Scottish shortbread finger cookies last week http://food-o-mania.blogspot.it/2012/08/kitchen-date-with-friend-1.html.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gauri!! :) just had a look.. more than anything.. what a cute idea..you and pria baking together in 2 different countries...keep the posts coming!!!

      Delete
  2. You are so lucky to have chanced upon this fabulous recipe! It looks amazing! love that the recipe calls for candied peel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know.. and it just landed on my lap.. all thanks to becca!! and i think we all are always on the lookout for little additions to spice up our shortbreads from time to time!! and candied peel was a good one!!

      Delete
  3. I adore shortbread! These would be fantastic with a pot of freshly brewed tea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One is never short of shortbread recipes..and especially ones such as this one that add something new to a classic!!

      Delete
  4. It looks wonderful (what a great idea to toast the almonds - we'll have to do that next time we make it!) :oD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Becca! I hope I did justice to the recipe.. wasnt sure if i got the look right!! Thank you once again for sharing a wonderful recipe and would love it if you have anymore that you can share!!

      Delete
  5. Stumbled upon your blog and what a lovely space you have :)) with interesting recipes, bookmarked a few!
    Loved the clicks!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! :) Most of the recipes are really simple.. do give them a shot and do tell me how they turned out!! Come by again!! Going by the title of you blog.. am intrigued.. heading over right now.. !! :)

      Delete
  6. Amazing pictures!!!! And the recipe looks great too!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mireia!! I was lucky to have got my hands on it!! :)

      Delete
  7. What a great shortbread! Nice hole in the middle.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks wonderful! It has an awesome story with it too :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love love LOVE shortbread, but I've always thought of it more as a Christmas thing. Of course, anniversaries are a much better reason to make these :) I can't believe I haven't had shortbread in forever, I've got to make some soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then you absolutely need to rectify that at the earliest.. and bake a batch ASAP!!! :)

      Delete
  10. This shortbread is looks and sounds absolutely delicious!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks too good.

    Pavithra
    www.dishesfrommykitchen.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have been in the mood to bake something sweet all day but without knowing what to make! and now I have my answer!
    You can't really beat a family recipe and I love the addition of the candied peel and almonds..I look forward to tasting them.
    Love the shape too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I've been completely taken in with the shape.. something so simple and yet a change from the regular shortbread shapes!!! again the candied peel and almonds .. just a little addition.. and you have a whole new version of a shortbread!! Do try it Sawsan!! :)

      Delete
  13. I'm in love with this shortbread, love it's history and the way you put your own touches on it-well done- just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Patty for the kind words!! Really appreciate it!! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...